I've posted before about my inability to always Be the Better Person. I can forgive people if the apology is sincere and they really do their best to make things right, but there are just some things I can't forgive. I'm really working on forgiveness.
At Thanksgiving, Cousin 'B' from Be the Better Person wrote me an apology letter and apologized in person for her disrespectful acts before, during, and even following my wedding. And I forgave her. We've since hung out a few times and had a good time doing it. With that kind of apology I can forgive.
Sometimes it takes a shove for people to actually apologize. My brother, Tony, is being deployed to in February of 2010. He hasn't spoken to our mother in over a year. He finally decided on Thanksgiving to get over it and act like a son. He decided making things right between he & our mother was important before he leaves for war. If leaving for war hadn't shoved him into forgiveness and apology, he probably still wouldn't be talking to her, but it fills my heart to see them acting like they actually know each other again.
It shouldn't take serious illness or future deployment to make you apologize, but people are stubborn. Really, it doesn't matter what makes you apologize as long as your heart is in the right place.
So think about it: is there someone you owe an apology to? Someone you haven't spoken to in months or even years? Don't wait until it's too late. Think of the people who die suddenly without ever getting a chance to make things right. Or the people who live everyday wishing they'd had 1 more day with a loved one, the things they would say and do.
Here's hoping you find forgiveness, or the ability to forgive.
Remember to live each day as if it were your last.
Friday, December 18, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you for sharing that!! And you are so right!!
ReplyDeleteThis was a wonderful post! Speaking of the ability to forgive, some time last year I decided to just let go of a couple grudges I had been carrying around for years. It feels so good to just get over it and move on. Again, this was a great post, some food for thought.
ReplyDelete